16/12/2018

Stalwarts of nine teams make the EHF EURO 2018 All-star team

FEATURE: The EHF EURO 2018 All-star team has been announced, featuring players from nine different teams and a new MVP

Nine teams are represented in the Women's EHF EURO 2018 All-star team, with the two finalists, France and Russia, also in the mix.

In 48 hours, no fewer than 5000 people have cast their votes into the EHF EURO application, counting for 40 per cent of the final vote, while the other 60 per cent were provided by a panel of experts to see the final result.

Only Carmen Martin came back two years after she took the plaudits from the All-star team of the EHF EURO 2016, while 23-year old Anna Vyakhireva has been named the Most Valuable Player of the tournament, after inspiring Russia to reach their second ever final.

EHF EURO 2018 ALL-STAR TEAM

Goalkeeper: Amandine Leynaud (FRA)

The French goalkeeper has been instrumental for France’s success at the EHF EURO 2018. With 52 shots saved and a 36% efficiency, Leynaud was tied with her teammate, Laura Glauser, in the top goalkeeper ranking, but had 15 more saves, leading the best defence in the competition.

Left Wing: Majda Mehmedovic (MNE)

Speed and determination are two important qualities for a wing and Majda Mehmedovic has plenty. The 28-year old CSM Bucuresti player was the third best goal scorer of the Montenegrin side, with 27 goals, while playing 321 minutes in six games for Per Johansson’s side.

Left Back: Noemi Hafra (HUN)

The 20-year old sharpshooter made her debut at the EHF EURO, but showed flashes of brilliance, leading a depleted Hungarian side to the seventh place. Hafra, who also won the all-star left back of the Junior World Championship in the summer, was the best Hungarian scorer at the EHF EURO 2018, with 27 goals.

Centre Back: Stine Oftedal (NOR)

Norway had their share of trouble before the EHF EURO with a flurry of injuries and only placed fifth, missing the final for the first time in 18 years. But Stine Oftedal, who also carried a muscular injury before the tournament, was back at her best, showing flashes of brilliance in both sides of the court. The 27-year old playmaker scored 33 goals for Norway and also had 33 assists.

Right Back: Alicia Stolle (GER)

A young German team was close to a semi-final berth, but failed to claim it after a loss to Netherlands. The future looks good for Henk Groener’s side, especially with a strong back line. Alicia Stolle, the 22-year old right back, has scored only 18 goals in six games, but her importance to the German side cannot be underestimated.

Right Wing: Carmen Martin (ESP)

For the third time in a row, the Spanish player has been named the best right wing at the EHF EURO. Her consistency on the court helped Spain get to the main round, while her leadership and grit inspired her team mates to be better. The right wing scored 25 goals at the EHF EURO for “Las Guerreras”.

Line Player: Crina Pintea (ROU)

An underdog story, Crina Pintea has seen a meteoric rise in her career in the past year. The 28-year old line player was superb both in attack, where she scored 32 goals for Romania, but also in defence, where she took responsibility and was a staple in the center for Ambros Martin’s side.

Best Defender: Kelly Dulfer (NED)

Netherlands could not defend their silver medal from two years ago, but the Dutch side brought their speed in attack and their strength in defence once again at the EHF EURO. Kelly Dulfer’s contribution may be overseen, but medals and titles are won in defence, therefore Helle Thomsen, Netherlands’ coach, knows how important is the 24-year old to the system.

MVP: Anna Vyakhireva (RUS)

The 23-year old Rostov-Don player has impressed for the Russian side, who reached the final for the second time in their history. Vyakhireva scored 36 goals in the EHF EURO before the last game, but her speed and agility has seen even the best defenders fail to stop her. The right back has also seen 38 of her assists converted into goals, only one assist less than Milena Raicevic. 

written by ehf-euro.com / ac, br